Sunday, February 3, 2013

Make a Wish.

It's Super Bowl Sunday, better known around here as Transfer Sunday.  Our morning started off with an update from the doctor.  We had one embryo make it to the blasto-cyst stage.  The other three have stalled.  It isn't likely they'll make it much further and aren't (as of today) good candidates for freezing.  We'll know for sure on Tuesday.  We were surprised to hear that, but it isn't unexpected.  It's also part of the reason we waited five days; to find the most viable embryo.  On a happier note, our blasto-cyst is as good as can be expected.  Grade AA, the doctor said (H called it organic, free range).  It was recommended, and we agreed, to only transfer one embryo - our all star. 





I was expecting the transfer to start off rocky, given how the mock trial went.  But, thankfully, this doctor had no trouble at all getting my testy cervix to cooperate.  The transfer is done through a catheter.  H and I could watch it enter the uterus on the ultrasound.  When the doctor was sure the catheter was positioned well, he asked the embryologist to enter the room with our blasto baby.  The embryo was in a straw like contraption that was placed into the catheter.  Liquid carries the embryo and the doctor launches it out of the straw and into my uterus.  The embryo is too small to see, but when the liquid exits it looks just like a streak of light.  Weeks and weeks of preparation and worry and excitement and a whole list of other emotions went shooting out into my uterus in less than five seconds.  The doctor asked if I saw it ... the shooting star.  "Yes", I said, "and I made a wish."





Afterward, I had to lay there for 5 minutes before I could get dressed and leave.  H  held my hand and laid his head on my stomach.  We feel a connection to our little blasto baby.  We want the best for it.  We will have to wait at least two weeks to find out what's next for our family.  In the meantime, we have to remind ourselves that we've done well, come a long way, and tried our best.  We're proud of our journey and of our embryo, no matter what.

(my view from mandatory bed rest - a magnetized photo of our little star)

I think the embryo wants a fruit shake.  Time to place an order with H.  Bed rest isn't so bad!  Oh, and go Niners!



No comments:

Post a Comment