Friday, January 4, 2013

The New York Factor

All along I thought that our non pregnancy was due to the fact that my husband was working in New York City.  He was home Thursday night through Monday morning.  Chance just wasn't on our side with an Amtrak ride between us.  It could be that simple, right?  Wrong.  It wasn't just the New  York Factor.  There were factors all over the place (the low follicles, the blocked fallopian tube, the over 35 thing, etc).  Distance was the least of our problems.



So, we began discussing what to do next.  Well, really when was the bigger question.  The NY gig would wind down in December.  But, by the time all of our tests were done and we'd met with both doctors about results, it was only July.  Waiting was NOT what I wanted to do.  I like to rush right into things with out thinking... a little like a bird flying into a clear glass window.  I see the goal and want to get there immediately  without contemplating what might pop up in between.  My husband, thankfully, is more cautious and logical than me.  After much discussion it turned out he had the better points.  Point #1 - he wanted to be around for the IVF cycle.  Point #2 - we could switch me onto his insurance and get some of the astronomical cost covered.  Points taken.  We would wait until January.  I would try to ignore the biological clock elephant in the room for the next five months.



Waiting wasn't so bad now that I was armed with more realistic expectations.  I couldn't just chart my temperature and hop a train to New York to get pregnant.  It was going to take some medical intervention.  We still prayed for a miracle.  But, every month, I was no longer searching for pregnancy symptoms, peeing on ovulation sticks, agonizing for the "two week wait," and wondering what in the world we were doing wrong.  We just lived our lives as normally as we could.  I felt calmer; life felt less urgent.

Moving into a new house helped.  I spent most of my time unpacking, decorating, and DIY-ing.  We have little adventures in the house all the time...  Like the day I bought a toilet snake and rode the bus home.  Instead of being inconspicuous (thinking no one would recognize the enormous contraption I was carrying), I unwittingly sat next to a plumber.  He knew exactly what was up.  What are the chances?  We had a lovely conversation about clogged pipes.  Everyone on the bus heard.  I don't ride the bus much anymore.



Before I get into other home adventures though, there's more of our IVF back story to tell.  Starting in November, it got harder to try to ignore the impending pregnancy attempt.  That'll be the topic for the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment